Saturday, July 26, 2008

Costa Rica Day 8

First part of relaxing-sleeping in!! We got up at 8 a.m., went to the restaurant at the hotel for breakfast.

Breakfast: rice and black beans, eggs, french toast, regular toast, some sort of pork sausage in small pieces, coffee, banana, watermelon, papaya, pineapple

After breakfast we loaded the bus by 9:30 a.m. Our destination was the zip line. Omar set-up the reservation so none of us really knew what to expect. He mentioned something about a Tarzan swing and I thought I may have to opt out of that! So when we arrived a guide greeted us on the busy and had us immediately sign a waiver to ensure that they weren't responsible for any injuries or death! YIKES! Then we got off the bus and began getting into our harnesses. At this point I'm excited, we are all talking about how silly we look and taking lots of pictures.

Then we walk over to a practice line and one of the guides discusses the rules and explains how to maneuver. Then we each take a practice run and as I am waiting I begin to get nervous and question everything!!! Where do I put my hand??? What are the three signals we need to know??? Why in the world am I doing this???!!! Then after practicing we loaded onto the back of the truck onto seats and rode to the 1st platform. It was quite a winding road and I was on the side of the truck which meant I was staring at the side of the mountain/volcano the entire way up. Once we got to the 1st platform, I got even more nervous because I was feeling a little carsick. However I toughed it out and we began the trek through on the zip lines. HOLY COW!!! CRAZY!!! Each time, 17 platforms, I shook like a leaf, questioned everything and debated turning back. But I stuck with it, even after running into the tree, and when it came time for our group to do the Tarzan swing I thought to myself, 'I better do this, because if I don't I may regret it when I get back to Charlotte.' So everyone in our group that was going to go went and then it was my turn! I stepped onto the platform, happened to look down and my legs turned to jello! I began to get harnessed in and really contemplated not doing it.


BUT I am sooooo glad that I stepped up and did it, even if the guide had to tell me 3 times to let go of the side and put my hands on the harness! Let's just say that I was given points by the youth for my screaming! After the initial fall and I could open my eyes, I was completely flabbergasted at what I was doing, where I was and how awesome it all was! When the guides at the bottom were able to stop me from swinging I must have looked wide eyed and amazed because the asked me how it was and I couldn't describe it! In fact I couldn't even speak!

After the Tarzan swing there were about 4 more platforms left and I tried harder to look around more and take in the scenery. When we made it to the end I walked over to get the harness off and she asked what drink I would like. She began listing drinks and I stopped her the second after she said beer! I thought it would be the best thing to calm my nerves! And yes...I bought the T-shirt that said 'I survived the Tarzan swing!' and we have a CD with our pictures and videos that we purchased from the company.

Then back on the bus to the next activity of the day-mineral hot springs! We went to Baldi Resort and Springs where we bought a pass to go to the approximately 20 pools across the resort. Unfortunately it was cloudy so we were unable to see the top of the volcano all day but it was a neat experience to feel the natural spring water that comes out of the volcano.

After spending the afternoon there we headed to the hotel for a quick shower then back on the bus to drive to town for dinner. The plan was for the entire group to eat together which stemmed from a coincidental meeting between a couple of men from our group talking to a man in town who happened to know Roger, the Bishop's assistant. This man happened to own a restaurant, Down to Earth, and suggested that he prepare a special menu just for our group.

Dinner was delicious! What a treat, to be able to have a special menu to order from and then Matise, the owner, opened his store so we could all buy coffee and gifts.

Then after dinner we walked around La Fortuna for a little but then back to the Hotel Cabanitas for more charades!

No comments: